Aidez’ed

Finally.

P1050579

Thank you  From the Purl Side for pointing out why this cardigan design has inexplicably narrow fronts!

I’m glad I made my adjustments to make the fronts meet, but the sleeves are still snug at the underarm! Not cut-off-circulation tight, but oh-dear-can-I-wear-anything-much-under-this tight. And that’s probably because the pattern has you start with raglan decreases immediately after the underarm bind off, instead of working an inch or so straight, without decreases.

Here’s a quick list of issues and solutions:

1. Fronts too narrow: add more in the stockinette section

2. Neck/bust too narrow: add and decrease more stitches in the reverse stockinette between cables. This and previous issue dealt with here. Without these adjustments, the fronts would have been a good 8 inches further apart than in the photos!

3. Front edge too floppy: yes, even after all my mods, I still found the fronts not quite right! Since the designer originally planned this with a buttonband, the 3 stitches which form a stockinette roll along the edges look decently neat, but are much longer than the side seams; longer open edge => edge swings open => more gaping! So I fixed it by picking up 2 stitches every 3 rows along the entire front edge, and then binding them off in the next row. Now it hangs well!

With all these mods, including pocket linings, I used up almost every bit of 2 skeins. My swatch was tiny (only 3″ wide) and I managed to spare its life, but it was a close call. To save more yarn I could have done the pocket linings in another yarn, but was really too lazy to go find a good match.

It is a beautiful garment, but if there’s a next time, I’m planning more mods in the underarm / raglan area.

P1050576

Specs
Pattern: Aidez by Cirilia Rose
Yarn: Cascade Eco+; 100% wool; 437m = 250g; labeled as bulky but I found it more of a heavy worsted weight; 2 skeins; “Burgundy”
Needles: 5.5mm

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Aidez’ed

  1. Your finished Aidez cardigan looks fantastic. This is the first garment I’ve knitted for me, I’ve only made baby clothes before. I used the suggested Barocco Peruvian quick, which is a lovely wool to handle, but different to the one you used. I’ve been really enjoying the challenge of the cables, but have read how small it makes up. I will do as you suggest and add to the stockinet stitches at the front.
    Can you let me how many extra stitches you have added. Many thanks

    1. Thanks! I don’t remember now how many I added, but it would have been equal to how much bust shaping I usually need, in that gauge. Since this is meant to be a garment with ease, I would probably have added around 1 to 1.5 inches to each front.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s