Tangled Vines

Finally, my Tangled Vines.

She turned out much better than expected, possibly because of all the finishing work.

Here’s an artfully arranged picture, with finished steek, fabric backing, buttonbands, i-cord button holes (buttoned and open — I love the way the hole becomes invisible when not in use!) and buttons. That’s a lot of finishing work!

Sharp-eyed readers may notice that the button side has a simple BO with CC, instead of i-cord. That’s because I ran out of the green yarn. That’s also the reason why I couldn’t make pockets as planned here.

I’m still not madly in love, because of the colour.  And the high neck.

Let this be a slightly bitter lesson to me, to only knit things I lust after, and not those I think I can make work to my taste.

Ehhnyways, Specs:

Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan, Eunny Jang, Interweave Knits Fall 2007

Yarns: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool; 45%wool, 35% silk, 20% nylon; 176m / 50g; six skeins; DK weight yarn; “Wheat”

Anny Blatt Cachemir Anny; 85% Merino, 15% Cashmere; 133m / 50g; about half a skein (left over from various projects); sport weight; No. 738 “Poisse Casse”

And here is proof of the semi-arbitrariness of yarn weight systems. The “sport weight” Anny Blatt was thicker than the DK weight” Silky Wool.

Needles: 3.5mm for body; 3mm for neckband and button-band; 4mm to BO button side; 3.75mm for i-cord BO on button-hole side.

Yarn usage (Silky Wool only):

1st skein: 4” of rib (including some decs)
2nd skein: dec portion of stockinette (4”) + 2” underbust + beg of bust shaping
3rd skein: bust shaping, yoke up till 2” after joining sleeves
4th skein: stockinette part of sleeves.
5th skein: remainder of yoke, half neckband
6th skein: completing neckband, completing sleeves, buttonbands

I record the yarn usage as a guide to myself (and others!) in case I later want to make a garment with similar gauge yarn, but different sleeves/length/neckline.

Mods: Different gauge, added length to body and sleeves, added my usual body shaping, worked in the round and steeked open, colour-work cables, i-cord buttonholes.

Blah blah about finishing here, frustrations here, colour-worked cables here.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Tangled Vines

  1. wow. this really turned out beautifully! i enjoyed reading about it as you laboured through – the finished object is definitely a testimony that it is worth it to stick to these projects that are more difficult!

  2. This is gorgeous!! I found your blog while after reading your post on the shifting sands cardigan. Your posts are very inspiring to a newer knitting. I am planning on making my first sweater soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s